Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring Sing (Warning... Bodily Fluids involved!)




Katie has been so excited for the "Spring Sing" at her preschool. She has been talking about it for weeks and practicing her songs in her room, car, park etc. etc.
The day of the program, she had been complaining off and on all day about a belly ache. It mostly happened around eating times. I just assumed she was hungry and went on with life. At dinner she started complaining again that her belly just hurt and she couldn't finish. I asked her if she felt nervous about her program. (For those of you who know her, this is very unlike Katie to be nervous about anything.) She said she wasn't and she thought she just ate too much and wanted to go to her program. She whined a little about her belly on the way there, but at soon as we got there she was all smiles and ran to play with her friends.
So there we were like good parents with our camcorder, SLR with the zoom lens and grandma in tow enjoying the program. About twenty minutes into the program I notice Katie rubbing her belly and shifting positions. I thought to myself, "You should go pull her aside and see if she's ok." Then of course, I think I'm over reacting and continue eyeing the program through my tiny video camera screen. Sometimes I hate that thing. You can't really enjoy the activity at hand because you're so engrossed with the zoom in and zoom out and oh don't shake too much. But, of course, we do it for posterity's sake. Anyway, I notice the color draining from Katie's face at a rapid rate. She is not even hitting her instrument with the mallet anymore it's practically falling out of her hand, and then, Ohhhh, she's throwing up. I'm hopping over chairs tossing the video camera at Todd. Katie's looking terrified and embarrassed and confused. The preschool teachers are panicking and finally I'm too my poor child. We race to the bathroom where she "spits up" a little more and then she's good. I say spit up because this was far less of an ordeal than one of Joey's spit ups. My mom refers to it as a "dainty hiccup". Really, can you be "dainty" when you throw up? But, as I replayed the video a day later, it really was like a wet "dainty" hiccup.

So, Katie's teacher is trying to console her in the bathroom and saying things like, it's ok, you should go home and snuggle in your bed in some comfy jammies. I hope you feel better. And Katie looks at her and says, "I want to go sing." Well ok. So we head back in and the preschool director/piano player says "Mother, you're not planning on letting her go back and sing are you? Of course, I say no and we are just going to stay and watch. Which really was the truth, I was worried Katie might have another "dainty hiccup," but still it kinda rubbed me wrong. I guess it was more her tone than anything that ticked my off. I mean and is she ok or something first and then the are you.... would have been better.

Of course, Katie was devastated. She sat on my lap and pouted while the kids sang all sorts of awesome preschool songs with props and dance steps. I have to admit I was a little sad she couldn't sing. I would have loved to see her pretend to be a fish. But, by the end, she was her ole singing self from the back row on my lap. Gotta love that girl! Unfortunately, she has been very sad about it since and wishes "that Miss Dee would not have been so mean and let her go back and sing!" So we have had many "Spring Sings" around the house since!

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Poor Katie. That is an awesome story though. I really thought that you were gonna put the video of her vomitting on here!!!!

Melissa said...

I wish I could, but ours won't upload to our computer until the whole disc id full.

Jackie Greenwood said...

I just think that story is hilarious! Katie is a doll, love you all!

Erin Marriott said...

Oh, poor thing, I couldn't help but laugh, so sad!! She's getting so grown up, I can't believe it. I love love LOVE all the pictures you take, you're amazing. Sounds like you guys had a fun Easter!

alaynamarriott said...

Melissa you are just the cutest Mom around! I LOVE reading your stories! So sad to hear about Katie's "dainty hiccup" but at least it's all on film. Your kids are seriously beautiful! So how are you? It has been forever, and I'm sorry I don't stay in touch like a should. It's a crazy life! It would be soooo much fun to have you take some pictures of Maddie! She just turned seven months, but she's finally a stable sitter so it would be lots of fun. You tell me when and where and I'll be there. We'd be happy to drive to Salt Lake, or just whatever. I hope you are doing great!