This lake was the most beautiful color of turquoise. And the church just made it all the more beautiful. Apparently, it's the oldest church in New Zealand. The kids loved throwing rocks in the water and the weather was such a nice change from all the rain we had been having at the Mount.
I was so surprised by how much this part of the south island looked like Wyoming and Montana. It was like driving through parts of Yellowstone, but no animals. It was such a strange feeling to be expecting to see a moose, elk or bear and then remembering they didn't have them there. However, they do have some deer which are almost impossible to see in the wild. There are plenty that are domesticated though.
We stayed just a little south of this lake in a little town called Twizel. Dinner there was AMAZING! I had the best salmon and risotto I have probably ever had. Did I mention that one of my most favorite things about traveling is picking out the restaurant for the evening. It was always something we loved to do as kids on our family trips and it still hasn't changed for me as an adult. Something about being in a new place and sampling their food just makes it more memorable for me. Or, maybe it just means I love food, especially tasty food I don't have to cook!



No comments:
Post a Comment