Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tongariro Crossing Day 2 Trip 2

Our first day was spent driving with a few stops before we arrived at our hotel in Turangi...perhaps the sleepiest town in New Zealand. I guess it's more of a winter destination due to the skiing on Mt. Ruapehue nearby. However, seeing that one of the most popular trout fishing spots and best day hikes was near we were surprised at how little was available/open. There were three restaurants in town, and expensive Italian, a Chinese place that was closed for inventory the one night we were there and a take out joint that would fry anything under the sun. We decided take out was more suited for our situation and placed our order for some high quality fried delights.

The next morning I was off with Todd's parents to the Tongariro crossing while Todd entertained the kids. I'll admit I was a little bummed he couldn't go and even more so after we finished. It was pretty spectacular. We had debated whether or not to try and take the kids, but decided against it. WOW! I am so grateful we didn't take them. Someone probably would have been seriously injured that day.

The Tongariro Crossing is known as one of the best day hikes in New Zealand. I think I will rename it as one of the gnarliest hikes in New Zealand. Holy smokes did I not have a clue what I was in for on this one. I knew it was long (19km) and steep, but I didn't factor in the weather and the 70 mph winds while hiking up a sandy/rocky ridge. Plus, it's an active volcano! Yikes.

It started out as a nice meandering trail along a small stream through volcanic and alpine terrain. Then we hit an abrupt climb! Lots and lots and lots of stairs.....then the wind, rain and fog set in. I was so glad I had grabbed my gloves and listened to Todd about wearing my rain pants. I totally would have had hypothermia by the end without them. After about a million stairs we hit a nice flat area with no trail markers. It was so foggy and there was just sand everywhere it was super eerie, almost like we were on Mars or something. We passed several people who kept telling us to be very careful due to dangerous conditions on the final ascent. We were sure they were exaggerating. Little did we know!

We started the final ascent. It was steep, sandy and rocky. I couldn't believe how narrow parts of the ridge were. If you slipped you risked rolling down either side resulting in some serious injury. There were people everywhere. I felt like an ant. The wind gusts were brutal and the wide stance required to not blow over made for slow hiking. It was almost impossible to see or hear each other because we had our hoods pulled so tight and the wind was so loud. Anytime someone ahead of you slipped you held your breath hoping they didn't take you out like a line of dominoes.

Our arrival at the peak was short lived. The clouds were really socked in. Then there was a slight break for just a minute or so. The view was incredible. I tried desperately to get my camera out from under all my rain gear. Just as I got it out, the wind gusts went nuts and it was impossible to stand upright and still. The wind was literally knocking me off my feet. I quickly gave up on the photo idea and sat down. I crawled...like most everyone else to the trail and started my descent, on my backside. Below me were three of the most beautiful turquoise/emerald mineral pools. I just kept praying I didn't tumble down into them. About half way down, the trail mellowed a bit more and I was able to stand and walk the remainder. I wish I could have gotten a picture of everyone on their backsides sliding down, but honestly I was more focused on not killing myself.

We took a well deserved break near the pools. I was seriously so wired I had a hard time eating anything. Thankfully, Greg insisted or I would have run out of energy before the end of the hike. Barb and I saved out Snickers bar for a treat once we finished the entire hike. I swear, I have never tasted a better Snickers in my entire life.

The rest of the hike was uneventful and enjoyable. It was mostly rocky alpine terrain and then it ended with New Zealand native forest, but the weather was much better on the backside of the mountain. We were able to enjoy some great views! Despite my terror during several moments on the hike I loved it! I'm so glad Greg and Barb were willing to let me tag along. I would absolutely do it again, hopefully someday with Todd. And, I will most definitely save my Snickers to the end. It was heaven.






No comments: