Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bryce Canyon National Park

The last week in October we took a little family vacation to southern Utah. We had a ball. I hadn't been to many of these places in years. I was somewhat surreal to be back there married with my children. Who would've thought?! I suppose when you're a teen you aren't really thinking about your future family vacations!

My dad used to make us pose with all the signs of each national park we visited. We used to tease him and still do. But, now I'm realizing it just seems a little more official that way.









Katie is extremely displeased about this photo spot. I had just explained to them that they needed to mind and stay away from the edge so they didn't fall off. She felt like this was "too close" to the edge and was very angry with me!



This kid is hilarious!
On all our trips growing up we could "earn" treats for spotting animals. Generally, there was a smaller treat for the more frequently spotted things like a deer or elk. You could upgrade to a larger treat if you spotted something more rare like a coyote or moose. These "larger" treats were usually gummi worms. We loved gummi worms. They just tasted so much better than a gummi bear. I'm not sure why I felt this way, but I still do. So in attempting to carry on some of the family trip traditions I purchased some animal spotting treats for the trip. Now that I'm the one "calling the treat shots" in the front seat we skipped right to the gummi worms. No small treats for us. We were going all the way. So after some careful explanation to our children we implemented the spotting treat. As we left the parking lot of a hike in the park Joey shouts, "Mom, I spot a tree! Can I have a gummi worm?" Man, that kid is tricky. Apparently, we didn't clarify what was a legitmate "spot."





The weather wasn't too cold once we got off the ridges. The hikes were so pleasant. It was so nice to not be totally drenched in sweat when you finished a hike!
This place really is unbelievable. Todd and I kept wishing we could've seen the million year camera to see how all of it was formed.












These two just crack me up. I could just squish them with kisses.

At least this one still lets me!
Just building a few Hoodoos.

















1 comment:

Aimee said...

Wow, Melissa these photo's are amazing!!!!