Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Drastic measures...

I'm officially frustrated! This kid is a thumb sucker. Not all day, but definitely during nap and bedtime. After the last dentist visit and the ever rising future orthodontist bill for this guy's severe overbite I'm taking drastic measures.

We got an elbow brace. Works great at night, but he can Houdini out of it during the day!

So, I ordered the nail polish. Super nasty stuff. It smells super strong and tastes terrible. The first day I put it on I could hear him gagging and choking on it in his room. He screamed and hollered about how horrible it was and that he just wanted to suck and go to sleep. Next thing I know the kid has thrown up from the stuff. By this point I'm thinking we have hit the jackpot.

Boy, did I celebrate too soon.

Yesterday, he asked for the nail polish and said he liked it. Apparently, he is stubborn enough to just man it up for five minutes until all the stuff is off his thumb.

So today, he screamed and threw a fit about me putting the nail polish on. And just to be sure today, I added the elbow brace thinking I was going to win this battle. When I went to remove him from his crib he had managed to remove the arm brace and suck all the polish off leaving a very pruned thumb! ARGHHHHH!

I'm going to keep at it another week or two and then I'm going to the "shark tooth" dentist. Supposedly, he can put some sort of retainer on the roof of his mouth so when he tried to suck it will poke his thumb. We shall see. In the meantime I'm certainly open to suggestions!

I have to admit I feel like the meanest mother in the world when I look at this picture. My child is restrained in two different ways. You can just see the edge of his baby jail otherwise known as his "housebed" and then there he is with his awesome elbow brace! Nice.







































And, his attempt to put that stupid thumb in his mouth!



No comments: