Halloween was such a let down for us this year. Especially since we came from such a cute little neighborhood with crunchy leaves that loved Halloween. First I told the kids they didn't have it here because that was the word on the street. Then while at the fabric store I see an aisle with very Halloweeny (I'm sure that isn't a word, but I'm making it one) looking things. So, I ask the check out lady who informs me that they do have it, but it is minimally celebrated because it's an American holiday. Meaning, look lady, you'll be lucky to find a neighborhood that trick or treats here. So, I decided we would make every attempt to do Halloween here. Because let's face it, what kid doesn't love to dress up. We decided on two pirates and Pocahontas. I really had to doing some swaying with Katie because she had all these outrageous ideas that definitely required a sewing machine which is presently residing across and ocean, so it was all going to be done by hand. And let me tell you, I have new respect for those days before the sewing machine. What a pain! And, I only sewed two pairs of pants, a vest and a pleat on an indian dress. Anyway, they don't dress up for school in fact Katie's teacher told her she hated Halloween. Ouch! So we told the kids we would try to trick or treat but there were no guarantees. We drove to a neighborhood recommended by one of Katie's friends and.....not a soul in sight. We finally spotted a sign on a mailbox that read "Halloween House." Hooray! We trick or treated and got our picture taken with some Japanese exchange students who thought we were the coolest thing next to sliced bread and we called it a night. Of course the kids were sad, so we took them to the store to pick out a treat...it sort of worked. All they have talked about since is how they can't wait to get back for Halloween next year. They just want to trick or treat and carve pumpkins. And you better believe it's going to be a huge Halloween bash at our house next year complete with pumpkin carving!
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Fall and other thoughts
My inner clock is totally confused right now. Being on the underbelly of he earth means we are having spring while the rest of my "familiar" world is having fall. What is so bad about that? I mean we are having sunny 70 degree days playing at the beach why would I be having trouble? I'm really not until I talk to my family, read blogs or get on pinterest. Which by the way is the most fabulous invention of all time. It's like a treat to during nap times and after bed time. You can seriously find the coolest ideas on there. Anyway, back to fall. I love fall. I love the smells, crunchy leaves, the colors, pumpkin spice candles and pumpkin bread, the chill in the air and the holidays surrounding it. I could go on and on, it might by my favorite time of the year! I'm feeling so left out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment