The first day came and went. I'm not sure that it went the way I thought it would or that it didn't. She has afternoon kindergarten so we didn't really have to rush to be out the door and it's not all day so there was no lunch making. It really was just like any other morning except she went to KINDERGARTEN!
The night before we had so much fun picking out her outfit. I really tried hard to stay out of it wanting her to wear what she really wanted, since it was her first day, but not wanting something terribly ugly/odd to be documented for years to come. So, we came up with three choices which she modeled for daddy and then she chose. I think she did great. I'm sure years from now she will wonder why she has a huge flower on her head just like I wonder how anyone ever thought feather bangs and sides were cute, but really, she looked adorable to me. We painted her fingers and toes and I gave her a special bracelet to wear in case she was missing mommy. Kind of like the whole "Kissing Hand" thing. She was so happy to have something from mommy to take with her.
We also had a special "daddy-prayer" which I think she was more excited about than school. At that moment I was so proud. Of her, of her daddy, of all of us for making it to this point. And, then I was sad. Sad that it is all just racing by and just wanting to soak it all in. It seems like it is the beginning of the end. School means nice kids and not so nice kids. More good choices and bad choices with bigger consequences. So here we go..... Hopefully, I've taught her what she needs at this point.
All of the kids in our neighborhood are in her class, so we decided to walk together. I think it made the transition and the goodbyes a little easier for them as well as us. There really is strength in numbers! And, as I watched her skip down the sidewalk to school I couldn't help but smile. She is ready. She has been ready for a year now. She LOVES kids and learning new things. She loves to be a leader and to do what the teacher says. She loves to do the right thing. It doesn't occur to her to be apprehensive, or anything BUT excited about it.
So, as I kissed her goodbye on the playground and she ran to line up by the door without a moment's hesitation I realized I was happy. Even though the teeniest part of me wanted her to miss me and be sad for a moment. I really was happy she didn't. She is growing up and right where she needs to be. And me, I miss her like crazy already!

No comments:
Post a Comment