Thursday, September 30, 2010

The State Fair

I love the State Fair! I remember going there with my family when I was little and just being in awe of everything there is to see at a fair. In fact, in the summer when we would be on family vacations we would hit every fair and rodeo we could. It really was so much fun. We used to harrass my dad that he planned our summer vacations soley around fairs.

This was acutally the first time we have been to the State Fair in the four years we have lived here. The kids were so excited. We checked out all the animal barns and then some. Katie wanted to pet everything while Joey observed safely from the stroller. The bunnies were absolutely adorable and Katie and I were dying to get this one. He was so cute with his little floppy ears. I kept having to remind myself that we are moving in 9 months and then what we would we do with it.

I couldn't believe how expensive everything was. I thought fairs were supposed to be cheap. You expect to pay a little more, but seriously 8 dollars for a funnel cake, 4 for a lemonade and 3 per ride. Yikes! We stuck with a small slushy for a 1.50 which was still a total rip off, but you can't go to the fair and not have something! If you can't tell, Joey had a blue slushy that took a very aggressive washcloth and soap to remove!

What is it about fairs that draw out such unique people. I was having a hay day people watching. Oh, and the booths. There were some crazy booths with some very crazy looking people. Like this one for wholistic medicine one. They were selling some "fabulously natural product" to make you more healthy and prolong your life blank amount of years. The woman pedaling this looked like she was about 500 years old, but I know she was only about 50. She reminded me of the poison apple lady on Snow White. She was totally leaning out of her booth waving her product at me! How in the world do you think your going to convince me to buy that! She really was quite scary looking. And then, there was this guy for the funeral home dressed in his fancy suit with his coffin next to him. Dude, I'm at the fair! Why on earth would I want to be talking about my future coffin! And I can't forget the magical cleaning products for carpet, tile etc. I could go on and on.

Really, there's nothing like the fair!

No comments: